Best Friend Birthday Cupcakes
Best friends are, well simply, the best and there is no exception to mine! This past December was her very big Birthday (I won’t disclose age, but it was one to celebrate). It has been our tradition to always do brunch together on each other’s Birthday, and then to celebrate by eating a cake we’ve gone all the way to Carlos Bakery (yes the Cake Boss – this tradition started long before the show) to get. This year I wanted to do something different and so I made her what I call “Best Friend Birthday” Cupcakes.
BEST FRIEND BIRTHDAY CUPCAKES
Makes about 30 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting below
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners (I prefer pink for Birthdays); set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter. Once cupcakes have cooled, use a small offset spatula to frost tops of each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Makes enough for 30 cupcakes
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add chocolate until just combined. Add milk, vanilla, and sugar; mix on medium until well combined, being careful not to overmix.
Best friend was very excited and even blogged about the cupcakes herself. Next time your friend has a birthday coming up surprise her with some Best Friend Birthday Cupcakes.
The recipe, listed is compliments of Billy’s Bakery here in New York and through http://www.marthastewart.com.